Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Burgtheater and left overs from Krakow and Wine Country Niederoesterreich

Again too much time between "hey I'll take your picture" and the actual taking of the picture. The lady in the background is supposedly one of the famous actors of the developing german speaking stage. I had never heard of her.
This is the beautiful Burgtheater. We went on a tour of the magnificent building about four weeks ago. I was really impressed by the architecture. It was built on the famous Ringstrasse in Vienna in the then very popular style of Historicism where the contemporary artists and architects would take styles from the past and imitate them to make them their own. For this reason one can see Renaissance, Baroque and Romanesque all in one building. You can also see it in the mural on the ceiling of the building. Gustav Klimt his little brother and Frank Matsch all contributed to the beautiful paintings reflecting on greek and roman antiquity for symbols of creativity, art and wisdom. Which of course all come together in Theater.
This is in front of one of the oldest Synagogues in the previous Jewish Ghetto of Krakow. Again taking in some rays.
AHA! Gotta love it. I know this is the second one I've posted, but this time I'm in it. So great.
This is a picture from the Jewish restaurant in Krakow that I really liked. It's happy and I enjoy it.
Got tickets? ... ... Toooo the gun show! This is the front of Klosterneuberg. We're waiting for the peeps that went pee. And I'm catching a little sun getting ready for the AZ heat and sometime on lake powell.
This is the highly dysfunctional macalester group at the dinner table after a lovely meal. We're all fat and happy so there aren't too many problems!
This is Leopoldberg. Sorry about the face. She wouldn't take the picture for the longest time and I got bored. But you can see how beautiful the view of Vienna is. It gave me a new perspective.
So in no particular order at all. This was the end of a great Saturday. We spent time out at Leopoldberg (a mountain the overlooks the city of Vienna) and then to Klosterneuberg (again, but worth it) and then on to a restored castle. Which was despite being overly fake and exaggerated was extremely fun and interesting. The little kid in me came out especially when I saw all of the Knight armor and weapons and draw bridge and Romanesque architecture. I kept waiting for Heath Ledger to pop out (not funny and too soon I know RIP Heath Ledger) but what is funny is that they shot some of the movie "The Four Musketeers" at the Kreuzstein (the castel we visited). And then after all that, hit up the wine tasting and the amazing Austrian farmer feast!This is after a long winded talk in the wine cellar with our lovely wine brewer/grape farmer Josef. By long winded I mean: Every new story meant a new bottle of wine to taste. Please notice the difference between tasting and drinking. We were tasting wine in a very delicate and fine manner mind you. Anyhoo, this is one of my professors at the Austro American Institute. She is a riot and loves the Vino! Funny thing is that she totally contrasts with the other professor (the one right behind my head; sour and bitter looking.) I think this adequately explains the relationship between the Austrians and the Germans. haha. Gisela (German) is always complaining to Toni (Austrian) about how Vienna doesn't measure up, how it's loud and dirty. And all Toni does, bless her heart, is or really can do, is say Yeah ok ok Gisela and then have a glass of wine with us! It was kind of a bummer because Gisela actually cut us off in the Wine cellar because she was hungry doesn't drink and was bored of Josef's stories. And everyone else was having such a great time! Party Pooper!

No comments: