Sunday, May 18, 2008

Krakow

I'm continually getting lost so I take pictures of signposts so that if I forget where I was heading or needed to go I can just look at my camera; it's simply good proof of where you've been!
That's just hilarious!
Actually to the right you can see where we ate dinner the next night: Ariel an authentic Jewish restaurant in the heart of the previous Jewish ghetto.
Joe and Carlye again. They're a happy pair.
Remnants of an older Jewish Theology school that survived WWII. People think it's unbelievable how much of the Jewish ghetto remains in tact but the truth is that the Nazis didn't want anything to do with the Polish Jews and proof of this is how quickly they were moved out of their homes into Auschwitz . They just left the ghetto how it was, they weren't concerned with the buildings.
This is the Saint Stanislaus procession. He is the patron saint of Poland and it was his feast day when we just happened to be touring around the down. There are so many catholics in Krakow! It was unbelievable- I've never seen so many nuns priests and brothers in my life. It was simply amazing.
Twoooooooooo forty two forty two forty two forty..........
She's not keen to physical contact as I am to personal space.
The crew, tired already of the walking tour of Krakow and Rebecca not smiling.
Another castle-y hill top, this time in Poland.
Jesuit Church said to be so full every Sunday that the Apostles aren't allowed space inside the Building (= the statues surrounding the church).
I kept a knocking but they would not let me in. At the University of Krakow.
Entrance to the University of Krakow, where I became extremely excited and geeked out cause I found out that this is where Copernicus had studied early in his academic career. You'll see evidence of this later both me geeking out and where Copernicus studied Law and theology before moving on to Italy to blow the World's mind!
Just a really old building. Because Krakow was founded in the Early Middle Ages there were a lot of these around. And little kids too, because of the whole catholic thing...
Michaelangelo's David's head on it's side = some contemporary art in the middle of the town square of Krakow.
The remnants of the Town Hall. The rest of the building was moved away cause it was old corroding and crappy. Just translating what the tour guide told us.
This is where the Art students paint (practically meaning no artsy fartsy stuff) to earn money.
Art students trying again to earn that Dollar Bill by selling their work on the remnants of the old city wall of Krakow.
Your typical Krakowian street with the Mary Chapel in the Background.
Entrance to the Town center.
Our compact tour guide. She was pleasant and articulate informative too! I actually took this picture because Jean Paul II studied in the building behind her and gave mass at the same chruch (not the all red brick weaponry directly behind her but the one with white windows)
Trying to sleep and Erin.... not sure what. This is on the six hour train ride to Krakow from Vienna.
Carlye and Joe. Carlye is on the trip and Joe's her boyfriend. We met up in Prague (he studies in Budapest) and we get along. It's nice to have another guy on the trip = someone who talks about down to earth things. He saved the Krakow trip and the Prague trip too. Cheers for new friends.
Arguing about soccer hooligans that like to bring out thousands of riot police and break glass bottles in the town square because Krakow won an eventful Soccer game. I highly doubt the eventfulness of the soccer game but the riot police did not.
This is at Ariel after a long hard day at Aufschwitz. (I didn't take any pictures at the KZ because I just didn't feel like it was appropriate. I wanted to treat Aufschwitz like a sacred place). Nevertheless the food was good and was accompanied not only by good peeps but also with a Klezmer band! (Traditional Jewish Music!) I had the Goose liver and Pierogis! Seriously!
Trying to get out of the picture.
Here's me geeking out at the University of Krakow on our first day (walking tour through Krakow).
I know I know. I look like a hippy and I look skinny. I'm working on both as we speak.

Krakow was amazing! I have been recommending the place to everyone I see and talking about it non-stop which I guess runs hand in hand with recommending it to everyone I see. It was not only gorgeous and green (because the city decided to turn the moats surrounding the town center into 'green' parks way before the term greening came about) but the people were extremely inclusive and nice. It was a different feel from Germany Austria and the other cities that I have visited. It was a great experience so go to Poland!

No comments: