Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tuscany (Siena) and Venice

This is proof for the Arrington Family that I found a place to stay in Venice after they left for the States. It was a tiny tiny room but cheap and fairly clean.
This is where I sent a couple post cards.
So many tourists like my self in Venice. So many!
Here's the cruise ship I saw when I was arriving in Venice leaving for somewhere unknown. It's ginormous.
The gondola boats.
More gondola boats and the impressive St Mark's dominating the Background. It's supposedly a mix of Gothic traditions even a little bit of Islamic architectural style was thrown in as the church developed. This picture is from a boat taxi that runs through the main canal but serves as a tour boat as it runs from stop to stop.
Where the Gondola boats come for repairs; not as glamorous as the St Mark's picture above.
From the Rialto Bridge overlooking the main canal as the ridiculous traffic (though not so apparent here) ensues.
I got a huge kick out of the fact that these guys wanted these dirty rats with feathers on them. I was just waiting for the right moment for one of the pigeons to leave a mark.
The facade of St. Marks. Magnificent.
Today I'm on my own. Trying to see a little bit of the city by my self before I have to fly out the next day. I took this picture because they were playing a song that I had been humming as the Arrington's were packing up to leave at the hotel earlier that morning. Conner can swear by it.
Great picture eh!? The small canals on the every street; Venice at night, the lights on the bottom are the reflections of the lights a top. Conner Elyse Gwen and I got away from the parents and went into Venice after our day trip from Siena to Venice so that the Arrington's could fly out the next day. We found a nice little joint called la Propheta that served a good red beer great pasta carbonara and heavenly tiramisu.
Ginormous cruise ship as I'm enjoying my bus ride from Treviso airport to Venice.
I got really excited on the plain but could only take pictures about it. haha
Unbelievable that there's still snow on those bad boys.

I totally just spaced out taking pictures when I was with the Arrington's. First because I was so anxious and apprehensive about getting to where I needed to go (travel plans etc.) secondly because I was relieved to arrive to their Villa and ended up having a extraordinary time with them and lastly because Dave (Dad Arrington) took millions of Pictures of the Tuscany region specifically Siena that I hope to later snake from him.

So after Sat Sun Mon and Tues in Poland I spent the rest of Tues night making sure I was set to fly out for Italy the next morning. It was tough getting to the airport because I had never been before so I made sure to leave extra early, I started on wednesday at about 7 30 am even though my flight wasn't until 11 40. But it worked perfectly! haha I got into Venice around 1 and headed directly to the public transport to be taken from the airport to venice so that I could catch a train to siena. From 2 30 to 6 was Venice through Bologna through Naples to Florence. Here I changed trains and headed toward Siena where Elyse and her sister Gwen greeted me at about 7 30 ish. It was an exciting day but the I got a lot of help even though it was mostly explained in Italian! The villa was great even though Elyse made me sleep on the couch after she had volunteered to. Siena was beautiful and offered lots of gelato to help me sleep at night. Great time! Sorry I don't have any pictures!

Italy was amazing. Another country another attitude! It was so great asking for directions getting lost (which half the pictures are of = me getting lost in Venice) worrying about trains staying in a Villa eating pasta and tiramisu walking the streets of another Medieval city seeing the remains of the Patron Saint of Europe (Catherine of Siena) walking through the attempt and failure at the largest basilica ever and etc. I had an amazing time and learned a ton not only about history and culture and whatever more. But I learned that it sucks to travel without good friends and family there by your side to get lost with, to admire buildings with, to see where Richard Wagner died with, climb crowded decaying spiral staircases with, eat great food and drink great ... drinks with! All of this is for nothing if you don't have anyone to share it with. I realized this most intensively my last lonely night in Venice after I had spent hours and hours roaming the streets. But I had had glimpses on earlier trips in Prague Budapest and then more so in Poland with Joe Erin and Carlye. It's just silly I guess: I want to get away I want to experience things I want to have things for my self in my life but it's a difficult process of discovery when my family is such a crucial whole not part of my life.

But there's just about one more month here and I think I'll enjoy it despite finals and papers and so on. Though I don't know how I'm going to get over all this stinking rain. haha

No comments: